ALFORD MA REAL ESTATE
Alford MA Real Estate includes the Town of Alford which is in the southern Berkshires bordered to the north by the Town of West Stockbridge, east by the Town of Great Barrington, south of the Town of Egremont to the West by Columbia County, NY. The population was 494 at the 2010 census
VIEW OUR ALFORD LISTINGS
BELOW ARE SOME LISTINGS FROM THE BERKSHIRE MLS:
Alford MA Real Estate
Alford was originally settled in 1750 as a farming community, and was bought from the Stockbridge Indians.
Alford was first settled in 1756 as part of a land purchase from the Shauanum Stockbridge Mahican tribe by a group led by Timothy Woodbridge. The town, originally part of Great Barrington, separated in 1769 and was officially incorporated in 1773. It was named for Colonel John Alford of Charlestown, who was known for preaching Christianity to Native Americans and for sponsoring a theology professorship at Harvard College’s Divinity School. The town has been mostly agricultural throughout its existence, although several small mills and a marble quarry existed in the nineteenth century.
Around New Year’s Day, 1776, General Henry Knox passed into Massachusetts through the town, bringing cannons from Fort Ticonderoga eastward to help end the Siege of Boston. Today, this route is known as the Knox Trail, and a marker is located at the state line.
The first gristmill was erected in Alford in 1763. A second purchase called the Green Land Grant added 15,000 acres the same year. The town, originally part of Great Barrington, separated in 1769 and was officially incorporated in 1773.
Alford MA Real Estate
The primary occupation of the early settlers was agriculture; yet Alford had grown and had two sawmills, two grist mills, a forge with trip hammer, a furnace for casting hollow ware, and a tannery. Marble became Alford’s major export in the early 19th century. When the railroads were laid elsewhere, the industries in Alford became unprofitable.
Alford has no post office, no stores, no motels or hotels, and not a single gas station. There are still a few farms in operation that export their goods, and sell goods in local stores and farmer’s markets. Some full-time residents are self-employed or own their own businesses, focused on trades and professional services. The majority of residents work in surrounding areas, but second homeowners and retirees make up a large percentage of the town’s current population.