Ancram NY Homes for Sale: 1700’s Colonial Plus Woodworking Shop. This historically significant home was originally part of the Livingston Patent. 3BR3BA with stone fireplace and wood stove, eat-in kitchen, separate DR and LR , with complete woodworking shop in 40 x 20 building above multiple garages all on 7 level acres.
Ancram NY Homes for sale 1700’s Colonial Plus Woodworking Shop
Ancram NY Real Estate homes land includes Long Lake and Lower Rhoda, for luxury homes, new and affordable homes, farms, waterfront property, condominiums and attached homes, commercial property, two family and multi-family properties, vacant land, auctions and short sales, great deals and rentals. The Town of Ancram is located in the southeastern section of Columbia County. The City of Hudson is approximately 20 miles to the northwest, the City of Albany approximately 50 miles to the northwest and the City and Town of Poughkeepsie approximately 35 miles to the southwest.
Ancram is located in the southeastern section of Columbia County, just north of the Town of Pine Plains in Dutchess County. The population was 1,573 at the 2010 census. The racial makeup of the town was 97.69% White, 1.06% African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.13% Asian, and 0.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.93% of the population. The median income for a household in the town was $45,726, and the median income for a family was $47,708. Males had a median income of $31,196 versus $25,625 for females. The per capita income for the town was $22,541.
Ancram 1700’s Colonial Plus Woodworking Shop
The town was named after Ancram (now ),Ancrum, Scotland. The first residents of Ancram New York were mostly farmers. They were brought from Scotland by the Livingston’s in 1740-1741. The town was founded in 1803, and was originally part of Gallatin. In 1814 Ancram separated from Gallatin and became an independent Town. The name was derived from the Livingston homestead in Anchoram, Scotland. Robert Livingston, first Lord of the Manor was the son of a Scotch clergyman, born in Anchoram, Scotland in 1654. The town comprises 27,000 of the total 160,000 acres the Livingston family had held from the initial grant by the English Crown in 1686.
During the revolutionary war the Ancram iron works was a source of armaments for both the Continental army and the British. It was in Ancram that iron was made for the cannon balls for the Continental artillery and the links for the great chain that was stretched across the Hudson River between Anthony’s Nose and Fort Montgomery, to keep the British fleet from sailing up the Hudson to attack West Point. The iron works became a paper mill in 1854 and still operates as a paper mill today. It is the longest continuously operating mill in New York State and one of the largest employers in Columbia County.
Modern” dairy farming came to Ancram in 1875 when the railroad arrived in Ancram, providing access to the New York market for Ancram farmers as well. Stimulated by the ability to ship milk by rail to New York, more farmers focused on dairy farming and created the large dairy herds which have characterized farming in Ancram since the railroads arrived in the mid-1870’s.
For more information on Ancram 1700’s Colonial Plus Woodworking Shop call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the Town of Ancram click here.
- Address: Ancram, New York
- Price: $275,000
- Property ID: 4700
- Town Taxes: TBD
- School Taxes: TBD
- PropClass: Residential
- Property Type: Affordable Homes
- County: Columbia
- Town: Ancram
- Schools: Taconic Hills
- Agent Name: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker
- Cell: 518-928-7239
- Brokerage: Hillsdale Properties
- Phone: 518-943-5511