COCHECTON NY REAL ESTATE LAND
Cochecton NY real estate is located in west-central Sullivan County and includes Fosterdale, Lake Huntington, Nobody Station, Skinner Falls, and T ylertown. The population was 1,372 at the 2010 census. The name is an aboriginal word for “low land.” The Town of Cochecton (its official name) is situated on the Delaware River, directly across from Damascus, Pennsylvania, to which a bridge over the river provides access. The village of Cochecton has a ZIP code of 12726; the ZIP codes for two other communities located within the town’s boundaries — Cochecton Center and Lake Huntington — are 12727 and 12752 respectively.
COCHECTON NY History
In the original charter of 1664, Cochecton marked the border between New York and New Jersey Along the Delaware River, a spot was marked named “station rock.” This point formed the meeting point of the borders between New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. After a long dispute – the New York-New Jersey Line War – the final border was set further south, near Port Jervis.
The town was formed from the Town of Bethel in 1828. The Town of Delaware was formed from part of Cochecton in 1869.
The town once had a station on the Binghamton branch of the Erie Lackawanna Railway, but passenger service on this branch ceased in 1971; the branch has since been taken over by Conrail. The Cochecton train station is the oldest surviving station in New York State. Moved from its original site in the early 1990s, a local group of people banded together to save the station from destruction. The local business Cochecton Mills, owned by the Nearing family, gave the group, called the “Cochecton Preservation Society”, one year to dismantle the ancient building and get it off their property, so that business could continue. In that time the station was carefully and successfully moved roughly one mile upstream to a spot on RT 97, still resting along the Erie railroad. More recently, various proposals were made to restore service on the line, but none have yet been adopted.
COCHECTON NY REAL ESTATE Today
The correct pronunciation of the town’s name is “cuh-SHEK-ton,” leading many to mistakenly believe the name is of French origin; the name is, however, more likely derived from the Lenni Lenape word ksch-itchuan, meaning “foaming water”. A conflicting, and probably outdated, interpretation appears in the writings of James Burbank, an amateur local historian who wrote in the 1950s that the word “Cushektunk” meant “low land” and “land of red rock” indicating the abundance of red mudstone throughout the area.
The Drake-Curtis House, Ellery Calkins House, Cochecton Presbyterian Church, Cochecton Railroad Station, Reilly’s Store, Parsonage Road Historic District, Page House, Old Cochecton Cemetery, and Valleau Tavern are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cochecton was reportedly the home of Tammany, a Native American sage of the Lenape who became an American symbol and a fixture in popular culture during and after the Revolutionary War.
TOP COCHECTON REAL ESTATE AGENTS
VIEW OUR COCHECTON NY LISTINGS
Search over 100 Cochecton NY Real Estate listings including the Town of Charlton of independent brokers and the Sullivan County MLS.
Use the scroll bar to review the Cochecton NY Properties Sullivan county MLS