BEACON NY Real Estate
Beacon NY Real Estate includes the City of Beacon which is surrounded by the Town of Fishkill, sits on the Metro North commuter line, overlooking the Hudson river with the Beacon Newburgh Bridge in the background. The 2010 census placed the city total population at 15,541. Beacon is located in the southwest corner of Dutchess County in the Mid-Hudson Region, approximately 90 miles (140 km) south of Albany, New York, and approximately 60 miles (97 km) north of New York City.
Beacon NY history
The area occupied as Beacon was originally settled as the villages of Matteawan and Fishkill Landing in 1709, which were among the first colonial communities in the county.
In 1683, the land that would come to include the City of Beacon was purchased from the Wappinger tribe by Francis Rombout and Gulian Verplanck, merchant-fur traders from New York City. The sale was confirmed, in 1685 by royal patent issued in the names of Rombout, Jacobus Kipp (as successor to the deceased Verplanck, and Stephanus Van Cortlandt. Rombout died in 1691, leaving his share to his daughter, Catharyna, who later married Roger Brett, an officer in the Royal Navy. The Rombout Patent was partitioned in 1706 with Catharyna Brett receiving about 28,000 acres along the Vis Kill.
The city served a variety of roles during the Revolutionary War. It manufactured war supplies, and served as a fort and signaling point. The city’s name came from signal fires that were atop nearby Mount Beacon. During the 1800s, the city became a factory town and was known as “The Hat Making Capital of the US” with nearly 50 hat factories operating at one time.
Beacon NY Real Estate Today
Beacon NY Real Estate has been growing in favor and in flavor for a few years now. It is gaining recognition as one of the Hudson Valley’s gems come back to life. The town has it all, a rich in history and small town Americana charm. An abundance of Victorian architecture, collectible shops, emerging art galleries, museums and fine dining.
Beacon incorporated as a city in 1913, amalgamating the two villages as well as a small portion of the hamlet of Glenham from the town of Fishkill.
During the 1960s, urban renewal led to the destruction of some significant historic buildings. In the late 1970s, the Dutchess Ski area, which had been a large tourist attraction, was closed. Also in the 1970s, a decline in the economy shuttered most of the factories. This decline quickly became a severe and ongoing economic downturn that lasted from about 1970 to the late 1990s, during which almost 80 percent of the city’s commercial business spaces and factories were vacant. Starting in the late 1990s, with the opening of one of the world’s largest contemporary art museums Dia: Beacon, Beacon began an artistic and commercial rebirth. New development continues to enlarge the city. Currently, the two largest planned projects are a waterfront hotel and conference center, and “The Rivers and Estuaries Center” on Dennings Point.
Beacon is home to one of a handful operating “dummy lights” in the United States, located at the intersection of Main and East Main Streets. It is a traffic signal on a pedestal which sits in the middle of an intersection, dating back to the 1920s. Two others are located in New York, in Canajoharie and Croton-on-Hudson.
The waterfall of Fishkill Creek goes right through downtown Beacon along East Main Street. There are many beautiful public green spaces to spend a lazy afternoon in Beacon. The city is also revitalizing the greenways along the banks of the Hudson complete with bike paths. Beacon is consistently becoming known as an antiquers hunting ground with so many great shops in town, from museum quality collectibles to kitschy finds.
BDIA Beacon in the old Nabisco Printing factory has almost 300,000 square feet of exhibit space and houses many important permanent art collections from the 1960s to present drawing visitors from around the world.
Places of interest in Beacon include Bogardus-DeWindt House, the Howland Cultural Center, Madam Brett homestead, Dennings Point, Euststia, and the Reformed Church of Beacon.
TOP BEACON REAL ESTATE AGENTS
VIEW FEATURED BEACON LISTINGS
Our newest Beacon properties are displayed below, most recent first. Search in order of price by clicking the bar to the right.
- Beacon New Construction 4500 sqft Gorgeous 3 Bedroom Home
- Contact: Charlotte Guernsey
- Beacon Grand 4 Bed 3 Bath Home on East Street
- Cell Number: 914-523-1964
- Beacon The Howland House, Stately Home on Howland Ave
- The Howland House. This stately home has been totally restored to its original charm w/all the modern conveniences of a new home. Located at the foothills of Mt. Beacon it has 2 oversized porches with views of Mt.Beacon offering a perfect venue for day/evening entertaining or just relaxing.
- Cell Number: 845-831-3331
- Beacon Beautifully Renovated Home on Verplanck Ave
- This 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath 1518sq ft home has been completely restored and beautifully renovated in 2018. It was originally built in 1900 and the house offers a number of features exposing original beams in ceilings and walls. A striking brand new metal roof and stunning Hardie batten board siding give the outside of this traditional farmhouse-style home a modern touch.
- Cell Number: 845-831-3331
- Beacon 3 Floors of Living Space Russell Ave 12508
- Three floors of living space. You'll love this totally renovated 3 BR, 2.5BA home that is just blocks from Main Street's thriving east end. Open concept first floor offers you the entertainment space you have always wanted. 2nd floor master suite has it's own bath, & vaulted ceiling with skylights & french doors leading to a private brick patio. Office space on second floor provides lots of natural light. Updates include boiler, central air,electric,kitchen, baths, and so much more. Easy to show.
- Cell Number: 845-546-2614
- Privacy & Charm in the Beacon Hills E. Main St. 12508 NY
- BEACON HILLS!!! Come check out this completely manicured home nestled up in the Beacon Hills with mountain views! A short walk down or drive to downtown Beacon where shops, restaurants, public transportation, and entertainment awaits you. The entire first floor has an open floor plan with a kitchen island, dining room, laundry room, and a half bath. This desirable area has privacy and charm!
- Cell Number: 510-301-0701