Hyde Park 2 Houses and Antique Barn Bring Your Imagination 12538. Great opportunity for living and working in convenient Hyde Park residential area. Two separate houses joined by large old barn on 1.3 acres.
Hyde Park 2 Houses
Hyde Park is bordered to the south by the City and Town of Poughkeepsie, to the north by the Town of Rhinebeck, west of the Towns of Clinton and Pleasant Valley and East of the Hudson River. According to the U. S. Census for 2010, the town has a total area of 39.8 square miles and a population of 21,571, 91% white. The median income for a household is $50,870 and the per capita income for the town is $21,260.
Hyde Park NY is the site of Springwood, the home of Franklin Roosevelt, the Vanderbilt mansion, the Mills Mansion and Val-Kill the home of Eleanor Roosevelt as well as the Culinary Institute of America. The CIA is, the world’s largest residential college devoted exclusively to the culinary arts.
Hyde Park Real Estate
Henry Hudson discovered the river named for him in 1609. This gave access to the lands to be purchased from the Indians by patentees. A patent is a grant given by a government for exclusive right to own a determined amount of land. Before 1695 Henry Pawling applied for a grant to purchase property from the Indians in what is today Dutchess County, but died before it was granted. Therefore the patent for the 4,000 acres was given in 1696 to his widow and children. Later in 1703, Peter Fauconnier and a group of New York men applied to the Governor for a patent of 10,000 acres, which have been discovered outside the Pawling Patent. This was the time of Queen Anne in Great Britain, and the Governor of the Province of New York, Lord Cornbury, was her cousin. Thus the Fauconnier Patent was granted. The land grants were named for the people who obtained them. Pawling’s covered most of Staatsburg and Fauconnier’s covered the land north of the Crum Elbow Creek. Dr. Samuel Staats bought so much land from the Pawling Patent that the area was called Staatsburgh. Staatsburg is still a hamlet within the Town of Hyde Park. The lands south of the Crum Elbow Creek belonged to the Stoutenburghs, who were the first settlers of the area in about 1742.
Settlement of the region officially began around 1742, but may have begun as early as 1710. Dr. John Bard had called his estate “Hyde Park” in honor of Edward Hyde, who was Lord Cornbury and Governor of New York. In 1804 a tavern keeper took the name, “Hyde Park Inn” and then applied for a post office, which was named Hyde Park Post Office. The area slowly started to be commonly called “Hyde Park” and in 1812, the settlement’s name was changed from Stoutenburgh to Hyde Park. Hyde Park was included in the Town of Clinton until 1821, when the town of Hyde Park was formed.
For more information on Hyde Park 2 Houses call 1-800-398-8802.
For more information on property in Dutchess County click here.
For more information on the town of Hyde Park click here.
- Address: Hyde Park, New York
- Price: $375,000
- Property ID: 4988
- Town Taxes: 4700
- School Taxes: 8200
- County: Dutchess
- Schools: Hyde Park
- Contact: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker
- Cell: 518-928-7239
- Brokerage: Barns & Farms Realty
- Phone: 518-392-6400
- Town: Hyde Park
- Acreage: 1.30
- Supply: drilled well
- Disposal: septic and fields
- Year Built: 1890