The Algonquin is a beautiful building located in vibrant downtown Saratoga Springs. The residential spaces have been renovated into 28 luxury apartments. Currently 2 separate styles of two bedroom units available starting at $2500/month.Buyer’s agent receives 40% of any commission received. We charge the owner 5% of total rental lease amount.
Saratoga Springs, also known as simply Saratoga (though not to be confused with the nearby town of that name), is located near the center of Saratoga County, at the junction of the Adirondack Northway (Interstate 87) and US Route 9 pass alongside and through the city, respectively. New York State Route 29, New York State Route 50, New York State Route 9N, and New York State Route 9P lead into Saratoga Springs. Saratoga Lake is southeast of the city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, As of the census of 2010, there were 26,586 people, 97.95% of whom were white. The median income for a household in the town was $34,509, per capita income for the town was $17,236. The city has a total area of 29.1 square miles.
The area was occupied by the Algonquian-speaking Mahican Indians before they were pushed out by European settlement, both Dutch and English colonists. The English built Fort Saratoga in 1691 on the west bank of the Hudson River. The current village of Schuylerville, New York was settled about a mile south by English colonists shortly after the fort; it was known as Saratoga until 1831.
The first permanent European-American settler built a dwelling about 1776. The springs attracted tourists, and Gideon Putnam built the first hotel for travelers. The Battle of Saratoga, the turning point of the Revolutionary War, did not take place in Saratoga Springs. Rather, the battlefield is 15 miles to the southeast in the Town of Stillwater.
Saratoga Springs was established as a settlement in 1819, incorporated as a village in 1826 and became a city in 1915. Tourism was greatly aided after 1832 by the arrival of the Saratoga and Schenectady Railroad, which brought thousands of travelers to the famous mineral springs. Resort hotels developed to accommodate them. Patronage of the railroad increased steadily after the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company assumed control in 1870 and began running the Empire State Express directly between New York City and the resort.
In 1863, Saratoga Race Course opened, moving to its current location the following year. Horse racing and its associated betting greatly increased the city’s attraction as a tourist destination at a time when horse racing was a popular national spectator sport. In addition, the Saratoga Springs area was known for its gambling, which after the first years of the 20th century was illegal, but still widespread.
After the closing and demolition in the 1940s and 1950s of many of the town’s premier hotels, including the Grand Union and United States, and competition from other destinations as more people used cars to travel widely for vacations, Saratoga Springs suffered a significant economic downturn. During the 1950s, the state and city finally closed the famed gambling houses, which further damaged Saratoga Springs as a destination.
The city’s rebirth began in the 1960s with the completion of the Adirondack Northway (Interstate 87), which allowed visitors from the north and south much easier access. In addition, the construction of the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in the late 1960s, which features classical and popular music and dance, furthered the city’s renaissance. The New York City Ballet performed there for numerous summer seasons, together with other high-quality dance groups and musicians. In the early 21st century, there has been a boom of building, both residential and retail, in the west side and downtown areas of the city.
- List Date: 2400/month
- PropClass: Residential
- Property Type: Rentals
- County: Saratoga
- Town: Saratoga Springs
- Agent Name: Jason Thomas
- Cell: 518-221-8920
- Brokerage: Roohan Realty
- Phone: 518-587-4500