Pleasant Valley Minifarm 10 Acres. This former Christmas Tree Farm with overgrown pines and maple trees for sugar has 3 acres ofpoen field and 25 x 50 barn.
Pleasant Valley Minifarm 10 Acres
Hyde Park NY Real Estate is bordered to the south by the City and Town of Poughkeepsie, to the north by the Town of Rhinebeck, west of the Towns of Clinton and Pleasant Valley and East of the Hudson River.
Hyde Park NY is the site of Springwood, the home of Franklin Roosevelt, the Vanderbilt mansion, the Mills Mansion and Val-Kill the home of Eleanor Roosevelt as well as the Culinary Institute of America. The CIA is, the world’s largest residential college devoted exclusively to the culinary arts.
According to the U. S. Census for 2000, the town has a total area of 39.8 square miles and a population of 20,851, 91% white. The median income for a household is $50,870 and the per capita income for the town is $21,260.
Henry Hudson discovered the river named for him in 1609. This gave access to the lands to be purchased from the Indians by patentees. A patent is a grant given by a government for exclusive right to own a determined amount of land. Before 1695 Henry Pawling applied for a grant to purchase property from the Indians in what is today Dutchess County, but died before it was granted. Therefore the patent for the 4,000 acres was given in 1696 to his widow and children. Later in 1703, Peter Fauconnier and a group of New York men applied to the Governor for a patent of 10,000 acres, which have been discovered outside the Pawling Patent. This was the time of Queen Anne in Great Britain, and the Governor of the Province of New York, Lord Cornbury, was her cousin. Thus the Fauconnier Patent was granted. The land grants were named for the people who obtained them. Pawling’s covered most of Staatsburg and Fauconnier’s covered the land north of the Crum Elbow Creek. Dr. Samuel Staats bought so much land from the Pawling Patent that the area was called Staatsburgh. Staatsburg is still a hamlet within the Town of Hyde Park. The lands south of the Crum Elbow Creek belonged to the Stoutenburghs, who were the first settlers of the area in about 1742.
Settlement of the region officially began around 1742, but may have begun as early as 1710. Dr. John Bard had called his estate “Hyde Park” in honor of Edward Hyde, who was Lord Cornbury and Governor of New York. In 1804 a tavern keeper took the name, “Hyde Park Inn” and then applied for a post office, which was named Hyde Park Post Office. The area slowly started to be commonly called “Hyde Park” and in 1812, the settlement’s name was changed from Stoutenburgh to Hyde Park. Hyde Park was included in the Town of Clinton until 1821, when the town of Hyde Park was formed.
Pleasant Valley Minifarm 10 Acres
Originally the area was definitely a farming community. Grain was the main crop, which brought the need for mills. There were several kinds of mills on the Crum Elbow Creek: grist, saw, plaster, edge tools, nails and fulling. Oxen and horses did the pulling. Sloops docked daily to carry grain and supplies to New York City, including hay for the New York police horses. There were other industries in the early days. A productive ship building and repair dock was near the mouth of the Crum Elbow Creek.
From the mighty Hudson sturgeon provided food and employment. The roe was sold for caviar; the flesh filets, called “Albany Beef,” was sold for ten cents; boiling the monsters provided oil to sell in drugstores as a “cure” for man or beast. For some unknown reason about 1914 the sturgeon disappeared. Staatsburg became well know for the ice cutting industry on the river. Huge icehouses were built on the river’s edge and men were employed to cut and store the ice, which was transported by barges to New York and Albany in the spring. Thus developed the Bodenstein Ice Tool Co. in Staatsburg. During all these developments the blacksmith was a busy person keeping the animals shod and making iron tools, some of which are collector’s items today. The Hyde Park blacksmith invented a liniment “good for man or beast.” This was made in Hyde Park and sold in the leading drugstore in Poughkeepsie.
Although there have been many changes in the area some things remain the same. The milestones suggested by Benjamin Franklin and erected to inform the horse riding postal carriers of mileage can still be seen along the highway. The large sycamore trees along Route 9 have been growing for 250 years and are still majestic and healthy. The original churches still exist. Hyde Park today is a residential community with very little industry, although neighboring municipalities are the home for major companies.