Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22 12168

Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22. This 10 Acre parcel on Router 232 has a driveway in and would be great for residence or semi-commercial business with 1400 foot road frontage.

Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22.  This 10 Acre parcel on Router 232 has a driveway in and would be great for residence or semi-commercial business with 1400 foot road frontage.

Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22

Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22

Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22

Stephentown NY Real Estate.  Stephentown is one of the most picturesque in the county or within a radius of many miles, rivaling the famed Berkshire hills of Massachusetts. Hills, many of them rocky and precipitous, abound everywhere. The Taghkanic mountains traverse the eastern part of the town and the Petersburgh mountains the western part, both extending in a northerly and southerly direction.

The north border of Stephentown is shared with the Town of Berlin, the east town line is the border of Massachusetts, the south town line is the border of Columbia County and the west border is shared with the Town of Nassau.    According to the U. S. Census for 2000, the town has a total area of 58.1 square miles.   The median income for a household is $43,506 and the per capita income for the town is $18,822.

Stephentown is a town in Rensselaer County, New York. The population was 2,903 at the 2010 census.   The town, which was originally Jericho Hallow in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, was renamed for Stephen Van Rensselaer.   Stephentown was first settled around 1765.   The town was formed in 1788, from the East Manor of Rensselaerwyck District.   The Stephentown pioneers were from New England, primarily Rhode Island and Connecticut.  The town is in the southeast corner of the county, and has a sign proclaiming it to be the only Stephentown on Earth.

Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22

Stephentown has an abundance of water-power, which formerly operated numerous industries. In late years, however, most of these have been abandoned and the manufacturing industries are small and few, the inhabitants being engaged principally in agriculture and stock raising. One of the first grist mills in the town was located in what was known as “Goodrich Hollow,” on the branch of the Kinderhook creek, where the earliest settlements were made. About 1800 a foundry and grist mill was built; at “the flats” a carding mill was located, and several additional mills were located nearby.

The Stephentown turnpike corporation was established by act of the Legislature April 3, 1801.   Other turnpikes were the Western Union turnpike, passing through the town from Schodack Landing to Hancock, Mass., and the Eastern Union turnpike, which extended from Hancock, Mass., to Albany, by way of Sand Lake village.   Road building and improvement began at an early day, but on account of the hilly and rocky nature of the town the good roads have been limited.   The residents of Stephentown village, as well as those of the entire town, are engaged chiefly in farming.    About 1876 seven manufacturing establishments existed in the village, but depression in business caused a suspension of operations.

Today Stephentown is a rural community with many residents commuting to Albany or Pittsfield for work.    Second home residents are increasing, too, drawn in part by the popular Jiminy Peak Ski Area.

For more information Stephentown Land Long Frontage Rte 22 call 800-398-8802.

For more information on the Town of Stephentown click here.

  • Address: Stephentown, New York