Ulster NY Real Estate
Ulster NY Real Estate includes Hamlets of East Kingston, Flatbush, Glenerie Lake Park,Lake Katrine, Lincoln Park and Ulster Landing. Today, the Town of Ulster is principally noted as being “The Business Hub” of Ulster County. It continues to grow and thrive, due in part, to its excellent location. Many historical sites dot the landscape we know as the Town of Ulster.
Also included is the Town of Ulster which is bordered on the east by the Hudson River and Dutchess County, on the south by the Town of Esopus and the City of Kingston, on the west by the Towns of Kingston, Hurley, Rosendale, and Woodstock and to the north by the Town of Saugerties.
TOP Ulster REAL ESTATE AGENTS
VIEW OUR ULSTER LISTINGS
Use the scroll bar to review the Ulster Properties of the Hudson Valley Catskill Region MLS
Ulster NY Real Estate
According to the U. S. Census for 2010, the town has a total area of 56.5 square miles and a population of 12,327 people, 86% white. The median income for a household is $52,366 and the per capita income for the town is $19,402.
The Town of Ulster, youngest of the twenty towns in the county, was created by an act of the Ulster County Board of Supervisors on November 28, 1879 when the supervisors voted to form the new township with land taken from the Town of Kingston. Formed in protest to what was considered political misrule by the authorities of the Town of Kingston, the action of the supervisors was soon ratified by the state legislature.
The first meeting of the Town of Ulster was held in the hotel of George A. Stoddard on the first Tuesday of March 1880. James Myer, Jr. was selected to be its first Supervisor. The newly created town contained approximately 27.5 square miles of land. It bordered the City of Kingston on three sides and was bordered by the Hudson River and the Towns of Kingston, Saugerties, Hurley, Woodstock, and Rosendale. The Rondout Creek separated the Town of Ulster from the Town of Esopus to the South. The population, according to the 1880 census, was 2,806. Rutherford B. Hayes was the President of the United States.
“While the establishment of Ulster solved the problem of political corruption in the parent Town of Kingston, another problem was inadvertently created. When the boundaries of Ulster were established, it was obvious just how severe the punishment of the Town of Kingston had been: the new town had Eddyville with the Delaware-Hudson Canal Terminus lock, the land bordering the Hudson with its icehouses and brickyards and all the advantages for trade and travel, the flat farm land of the Saugerties Road and the Brabant with its road leading into the interior. The Esopus Creek with all the potential for mills was locate within the new town. Finding a Centrum or hub around which the township could unite was virtually impossible as it was little more than a collection of hamlets bound together by only a legislative act.” (Burgher manuscript)
Although the new town lacked a geographic center, Eddyville was its economic hub. Named for George Eddy, a mill owner whose family established a cotton mill and a sawmill on the Rondout, Eddyville became a thriving hamlet in large part due to the Delaware and Hudson Canal.
An area we now know as East Kingston was in earlier times referred to as Flatbush. Originally named by the Esopus, the Dutch called it “Vlakke Basch”. Here were the cement works, ice houses and brickyards that made this area second only to Eddyville in importance to the town. Rider Park and the Town of Ulster Post Park are sited on lands where brickyards once flourished.
Ulster NY Real Estate
Lake Katrine, was named after a small lake near the community. The lake was formerly called Auntrens Pond and the area was once called Pine Bush. It was the site of numerous country cottages, inns and summer resorts.
If one travels up Route 28 (once a private toll road called Brabrant Plank Road) you will find Stony Hollow, an area once populated by Irish quarry workers. Bluestone quarrying was the main industry in Ruby, which was known as both the Dutch Settlement and the German Settlement in earlier times.
“The township remained primarily rural and agricultural until the post World War II years when so much happened so quickly and Ulster had to move into the 20th Century ready or not. A major corporation, IBM, opened its Kingston facility. The economy of Ulster, the City of Kingston and neighboring towns changed irreversibly as housing developments sprang up, schools were built and other businesses arrived.” (Burgher manuscript)
In 1999, Lisa Groppuso was the first female Supervisor elected into office on the Democratic ticket. She served 4 terms (2 years each), from 1990 until 1998 as Town Clerk before serving one term as Town Supervisor, her term was 2000 -2001. She is the only female Supervisor in history to date, in the Town of Ulster. On November 8, 2005, the Town of Ulster Elected Nicky B. Woerner as the youngest town supervisor in New York State history (age 21) and elected the first Democratic Town Board in the town’s history.
|Back to Ulster County||Ulster Town Information|