West Sand Lake Mint 1870 Sidehall Colonial 10 Acres. This 3BR3BA antique home with many updates,no expense spared, including 5 new Anderson windows costing over $12K. The charm of the 1800’s and the convenience of today, cook’s range, stainless steel refrigerator, cherry cabinets, spacious LR and DEN with working wood fireplaces. Beautiful DR with classy chandelier, finished basement, landscaped private acreage with inground pool, central air and even a double dog invisible fence. Convenient to Albany, the Berkshires and Columbia County.
West Sand Lake Mint 1870 Sidehall Colonial 10 Acres
Sand Lake NY Real Estate includes Averill Park, Crystal Lake, Crooked Lake, Maple Grove, Sliters, Taborton, and West Sand Lake and is in the center of Rensselaer county. It is bounded on the north by Poestenkill, on the east by Berlin, on the south by Nassau and Schodack and on the west by East Greenbush and North Greenbush.As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 10,135. The town of Sand Lake was formed from Greenbush and Berlin June 19, 1812. In 1843 a part of Greenbush was taken off, and in 1848 the northern half was set off as a separate town under the name of Poestenkill. Sand Lake is south of the centre of Rensselaer county. It is bounded on the north by Poestenkill, on the east by Berlin, on the south by Nassau and Schodack and on the west by East Greenbush and North Greenbush.
The first permanent settlements in Sand Lake were made in its western part, probably in 1765 or 1766 by Dutch farmers who had come from Holland a few years after the settlement of Albany, or who had first located further down the valley of the Hudson.
The first store at Sand Lake was started about 1795. About 1830 Franklin Averill conducted a store at Sliter’s Corners and other stores were started at South Sand Lake and nearby locations. The first turnpike in Sand Lake was established about 1795, and extended from Albany to Berlin. About thirty years afterward the Troy and Sand Lake turnpike was constructed, and a short time afterward the Eastern Union turnpike, which had its eastern terminus in Hancock, Mass., and ran through Sand Lake village, was built.
West Sand Lake Mint 1870 Sidehall Colonial 10 Acres
The early records of the town meetings in Sand Lake, unfortunately, are incomplete. The first meeting was held soon after the organization of the town in 1812, but the date does not appear. Ebenezer Gregory was elected moderator and the first town officers chosen, as far as can be determined from the minutes of the meeting, were school directors Dr. Uriah M. Gregory, William Gorsline and Samuel Delamater. Ebenezer Gregory was elected poundmaster and fifty-eight overseers of highways were chosen.
The splendid water-power afforded by the fall in the bed of the Wynants kill was utilized to advantage at an early day, and numerous manufacturing industries were established from time to time along the bank of the stream. An early and principal industry was the manufacture of glass which was discontinued around the time of the Civil War. Saw mills, grist mills and a forge were established on the banks of the Wynants kill at an early date, increasing in numbers as the demand warranted it. In 1800 a forge and saw mill were built.
None of the hamlets in Sand Lake are very large. Of these Sand Lake village, as it is commonly known, is in the central part of the town, and is the centre of several small hamlets, all known under the general name of Sand Lake. From time to time several small mills and manufactories of various kinds have been located there, the principal ones being woolen mills, a cotton-warp mill and a paper mill. It is also well supplied with stores and hotels and the usual complements of small villages. Averill Park, formerly West Sand Lake, became a prosperous hamlet. Sliter’s Corners, South Sand Lake and Glass House were other hamlets.
Over the last century, the Town of Sand Lake made the transition from a municipality with roots in agriculture, industry, and tourism, to a bedroom community, all the while maintaining the rural character treasured by the community. In recent years, Sand Lake has increased in popularity as a residential center, in part due to close proximity to the City of Albany. Although this is a testament to the attractiveness of the community, it also brings development pressures that may threaten the Sand Lake’s character.
For more information on West Sand Lake Mint 1870 Sidehall Colonial 10 Acres call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the town of Sand Lake click here.
For more information on Rensselaer County click here
- Address: 46 Old South Road, West Sand Lake, NY 12196
- Price: $385,000
- Property ID: 5158
- Town Taxes: 3377
- School Taxes: 5918
- Prop. Class: Residential
- County: Rensselaer
- Schools: Averill Park
- Contact: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker
- Cell: 518-928-7239
- Brokerage: Chatham
- Phone: (518)392-6400
- Town: Sand Lake
- Acreage: 10
- Road Type: Town
- Supply: drilled well
- Disposal: septic and fields
- Year Built: 1870
- Upgrades: New Anderson Windows, Kitchen Updated
- Condition: excellent
- Sq. Ft.: 2336
- Total Rooms: 12
- Bedrooms: 3
- Bathrooms: 3
- Room Details: FR 18x11; LR 23x13; DR 12x17; Kitchen 17x7 ; MBR20x15; 2BR 13x11
- Roof: slate
- Siding: clapboard
- # of Outbuildings: 1 Garage
- Building Style: Colonial